Variegated Tales: Tuesday 1st February

After a few days of only semi-failure during my Japanese lessons, today I returned to something approaching my best work. Proclaiming with certainty that I had been to ‘sports’ to go shopping twice during the past week, I was helpfully informed by the rest of the class that I had in fact gone to the supermarket. After reliving said visit I then paid a trip to my own personal hell, which looks remarkably like the inside of a Japanese language classroom.

'Chekov?!' My career as a translator is blossoming.

I had been given a free ticket to see ‘Chekov?!’ at the Tokyo Metropolitan Art Space in Ikebukuro this evening, and armed only with the knowledge that it was a play about Chekov and that it was entirely in Japanese, I didn’t hold much hope for an evening of enlightenment. It turned out that I needn’t have worried, as 80% of the play was without words, and of that remaining 20% I actually got the gist of about half of it. The play was more a realising of Chekov’s stories, told using music and physical theatre with some really striking scenery, and some of the best lightening that I have ever seen in a theatrical production. My one complaint was that I was crammed into a seat like an adverb in a sixth former’s English Essay, but the enjoyment of the evening was definitely worth the loss of my lower back for the next week or two.

Advertisements

About truehamlet

Sam is a senior lecturer in Science Communication, who researches the different ways in which media such as poetry and film can be used to communicate science to new audiences.
This entry was posted in Uncategorized and tagged , , . Bookmark the permalink.

Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in:

WordPress.com Logo

You are commenting using your WordPress.com account. Log Out / Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out / Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out / Change )

Google+ photo

You are commenting using your Google+ account. Log Out / Change )

Connecting to %s