The play that I was supposed to see, and which may or may not be a comment on homosexuality in 1946 Tokyo, was moved from Tuesday to tomorrow night. As the director has clearly gone out of his way to arrange this for me, I was already quite nervous about having to report back on what I thought of the event. This trepidation has now multiplied, as this morning the director presented me with a copy of the script. He clearly thinks that I have something approaching competency in regards to reading Japanese, and I didn’t have the heart (or the linguistic capability) to tell him that I would struggle to read and fully understand the script for an English play in the space of a single evening. I can only hope that tomorrow’s performance is so visually explicit that I can at least grasp a vague notion of its plot. If not I fear Saturday morning could herald in a rather awkward conversation.
It is now a little over two weeks until the opening night of ‘Hamlet’, and many of the roles have yet to be decided upon. This is understandable for some of the smaller speaking roles, such as messenger, gentleman, etc. but the fact that Laertes is yet to be cast is slightly worrying. From what I can gather we are currently working from a shortlist of three, and the director doesn’t seem particularly enamoured with any of them. In fact, given the current situation, coupled with the misplaced faith in my ability to read a Japanese script, I live in constant fear of being asked to get up and give it a bash myself.