A week today and my class will be performing ‘ECT: Friend of Foe’ in front of a live audience. A lot of progress had already been made since last week, and today we were able to tie together a lot of the loose threads, and do a couple of full runs. However, a large element of the performance relies upon audience interaction, whilst the denouement requires a certain suspension of disbelief, so whilst I have every faith in my students there is still an element of trepidation. An emotion which was no doubt experienced by the students when they saw the tickets that I had made for next week, as they politely pointed out that not only had I got the price and sponsor’s name wrong, but that l had even somehow managed to misspell ECT!
Today I also found out that the China trip is taking on many new and exciting forms. At first I thought that I was being charged with running a workshop for a few hundred Chinese students, but now it transpires that this is not the case. Instead I have to produce a script, and rehearse with my Drama Communication students for a performance that will be performed in Beijing. At first I thought that this would be a much easier task, but then I found out that the script should be trilingual (English, Japanese, and Chinese) and have small roles for some of the Beijing students to participate in, whilst the plot should be a satire be centred around how international collaboration can be coupled with culture and ancient belief systems in the development of new technology. It’ll certainly be interesting, although I can’t promise that it will be spelt correctly!